Opportunities at the Minnesota Private College Council
Director of Development
The Minnesota Private College Fund (MPCF) seeks a Director of Development to join its team of higher education and advocacy professionals. The Fund and the Minnesota Private College Council are related organizations representing private nonprofit higher education in Minnesota. The director will lead the work of the Fund.
The Director manages all aspects of the Minnesota Private College Fund, and is responsible for designing and implementing a strategy for the Fund that will steward the support of annual donors, secure new support from corporations and foundations, and sustain long-term donor relationships. The strategy must engage board members and other volunteer leaders; broaden the donor base; integrate all components of the development program; upgrade the professional donor-research capability; and maintain strong database management, reporting, and services.
Reporting to and working closely with the MPCC President, the Director of Development should have the motivation, creativity, judgment, leadership, relational skills, and management experience to design and lead development programs that will strengthen the Fund’s resource base by engaging donors, volunteers, corporate and foundation leaders, and board members. The successful candidate should have demonstrated experience in programs that have been successful at raising sights, reaching untapped potential and producing lasting change in philanthropic habits.
The Minnesota Private College Council
The Minnesota Private College Council and its affiliate, the Minnesota Private College Fund, represent private nonprofit higher education in Minnesota. Seventeen institutions are members; they share a liberal arts focus. We refer to our members as Minnesota's Private Colleges.
The Minnesota Private College Fund
A separate organization, the Minnesota Private College Fund serves member colleges primarily by raising funds for student scholarships and the colleges’ operations. The Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions from individuals, corporations and foundations. A long tradition of charitable support by Minnesota businesses and foundations sustains Minnesota’s private colleges and universities and allows them to strive for quality far beyond what tuition revenue alone would allow.
Director of Development Responsibilities
- Design and lead a solicitation and acquisition effort focused on expanding the donor base to the Fund.
- Work with board members, member colleges’ chief development officers, Fund staff and other friends of the Fund to identify and cultivate new donor prospects.
- Nurture and strengthen existing donor relationships.
- Provide leadership and direction for the Fund’s staff through yearly work plans to include the annual fundraising campaign for Minnesota’s private colleges and universities.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Fund and the chief development officers of the Fund’s member institutions.
- Provide staff support and leadership to the Funding Committee chair and to the Funding Committee of the board to interpret and report on the Fund’s progress in achieving established annual campaign goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with the Fund’s Scholarship Associate and Development Associate to ensure effective stewardship of scholarship programs and other designated contributions.
- Assist the director of communications with the creation of communications materials to support the annual campaign and effectively promote private higher education to corporate and foundation audiences.
- Lead Fund staff in the day-to-day management of all Fund initiatives that provide for quality assurance of all Fund procedures and processes. Ensure Fund staff receives appropriate support and training and that the Fund’s extensive database is appropriately maintained and managed.
- Participate as an active member of the MPCC management team.
- Collaborate with and support the MPCC president in the Foundation for Independent Higher Education (FIHE) related initiatives.
- Contribute to a positive and professional work environment that values diversity, respect and constructive interaction resulting in shared commitment to mission and outstanding collective work.
- Handle other responsibilities as assigned. (The MPCC reserves the right to change job responsibilities or duties based on the needs of the MPCC.)
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Three years minimum of related fundraising, including corporate and foundation solicitation, and nonprofit organizational management experience, or related experience managing member services function for an organization. Experience in higher education preferred (but not required).
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and sustaining productive donor or member relationships.
- Ability to work directly with board members and with senior corporate and foundation leaders.
- Ability to think strategically about opportunities and donor relationships.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff and working with volunteers.
- Demonstrated understanding of Minnesota’s corporate, foundation and philanthropic community.
- Should possess an understanding and familiarity with the mission and the values of private nonprofit higher education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that cultivate collaboration and sense of teamwork with co-workers, volunteers and college partners.
- Proficient with Microsoft office productivity programs. Raiser’s Edge experience a plus.
Competitive salary and benefits (health, dental, retirement, flexible benefit plan, four weeks vacation).
Applications (resume and cover letter) and inquiries about the position may be directed, in confidence, to Gaye Lindfors of Significant Solutions, Inc., the consultant assisting with this search (651-490-9550). Electronic submissions are strongly preferred and should be sent to Gaye@SignificantSolutionsInc.com.
MPCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.