Day at the Capitol
Students — meet with your legislators at the State Capitol to advocate for the Minnesota State Grant program! This program provides critical support, helping make higher education possible for one out of three Minnesota college students from low- and middle-income families. The state invested $120 million in aid in the most recent academic year, helping more than 88,000 students.
Day at the Capitol will occur on these dates in 2014:
- Tuesday, March 18: Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Catherine University and St. Olaf College
- Thursday, March 27: Bethany Lutheran College, College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University, Macalester College and Saint Mary’s University
- Thursday, April 3: Augsburg College, Bethel University, Concordia University and College of St. Scholastica
- Wednesday, April 9: University of St. Thomas
- Thursday, April 10: Carleton College, Concordia College, Hamline University
What happens at Day at the Capitol?
You'll receive a policy and lobbying briefing including comments from House and Senate members who represent your campus. Then you'll meet with legislators and attend a Q&A session. The Minnesota Private College Council provides training and materials and makes legislative appointments for participants. See schedule examples.
Video: The Minnesota State Grant: How students speak up
Video: The Minnesota State Grant: Why it matters
View Day at the Capitol and State Grant videos on YouTube
Related Topics: Policy