The Phillips Scholars Program recognizes and rewards private college students who strive to make life better for people with unmet needs in Minnesota communities. Phillips Scholars identify community concerns, explore ways to create social change, and develop ambitious programs that would meet varies needs of communities.
Here's the scholarship breakdown:
$6,000 — Junior Year Scholarship
$6,000 — Senior Year Scholarship
$4,000 — Summer Stipend
$ 500 — Project Resource Funding
$16,500 — Total Award
Students from 16 eligible private colleges and universities are invited to apply. Each campus will select up to two finalists, who will go on to compete for one of six Phillips Scholars awards.
Application PDF (405 KB)
Applications for the Phillips Scholarship Program are accepted in at the Minnesota Private College Council in late February of each year. Each campus will be asked to submit a Survey PDF (60 KB) prior to the application deadline. The selection committee meets in early March and scholars are notified of selection in mid-March. Selected scholars are encouraged to attend the Spring Luncheon celebration in late-April.
Each campus has a campus-specific deadline for their applicants. Please see your campus resources for specific deadlines and details.
Here are some helpful resources to consult on your campus:
- Financial Aid Offices
- Campus Ministry and Community Service departments
- Diversity and Multi-Cultural Leaders
- Service Learning Coordinators
Selection Process Guide PDF (138 KB)
A helpful resource to obtain ideas for your application.
Scholar Summaries PDF (186 KB)
Past scholar project descriptions by year, and by campus. See the number of scholars chosen from each campus.
Tips for Applicants PDF (138 KB)
Decisions are based on the following criteria:
- You have an excellent academic record (GPA 2.75+).
- You are enrolled at an eligible private college as a sophomore in the 2014-2015 academic year
- You have demonstrated FINANCIAL NEED.
- You aspire to serve disadvantaged people.
- You have a history of participating in campus activities and an interest in community service and volunteering.
- You are committed to designing and implementing a Minnesota-focused service project in the 2016 Summer (8 weeks @ 40 hours per week).
- You are a student at one of the following private colleges or universities:
Bethany Lutheran College
College of Saint Benedict
The College of St. Scholastica
Concordia College (Moorhead)
Concordia University (St. Paul)
Gustavus Adolphus College
Minneapolis College of Art and Design
Saint John's University
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
St. Catherine University
St. Olaf College
University of St. Thomas
If you have any questions or need additional information, please read some scholar stories, get advice from a past scholar, and/or contact the Minnesota Private College Fund at (651) 293-6823 or (888) PRI-FUND or email@example.com
The Phillips Scholars Program is administered by the Minnesota Private College Fund in partnership with the financial aid offices of 16 private colleges and universities. The program is funded by The Jay and Rose Phillips Family Foundation.