Ready to work hard and play hard? Carleton is one of the nation's top liberal arts and sciences colleges, boasting success from physics to frisbee and everything in between. Our academic programs span the disciplines, giving you a broad foundation of knowledge to take your interdisciplinary learning to the next level. With students hailing from across the country and around the world, our diverse community will challenge and support you. Located in the historic river city of Northfield, we're just 40 miles south of the Twin Cities; you'll find plenty to occupy your time outside of class. Carleton graduates go on to become physicians, teachers, civic leaders, artists, engineers, authors — and our strong opportunities in research and internships will help prepare you for whatever comes after Carleton.
Carleton College at a Glance
- Undergraduate: 2,055
- Student/faculty ratio: 9:1
- Average class size: 18
- Number undergraduate majors: 38
75% White, 4% Black, 7% Hispanic, 9% Asian, 5% multiracial
First-Year Student Profile
- Average ACT score: The middle 50% of enrolled students had ACT composite scores between 29 and 33. 57% of first-year students presented the ACT as part of their applications.
- Average SAT score: Middle 50% ranges for SAT Math: 670-760, SAT Reading: 670-760, SAT Writing: 660-750. 63% of students submitted the SAT as part of their applications.
- Percentage from Minnesota: 20%
- Percentage who live on campus: 94%
- 2013-14 undergraduate tuition and fees: $46,167
- Room and board: $11,982
- Percentage first-time undergraduates receiving financial-aid: Around 64% of Carleton students qualify for some form of financial aid. 55% of financial aid awards are in the form of need-based grants and scholarships, which do not need to be repaid.