Ready to work hard and play hard? Carleton is one of the nation's top liberal arts and sciences colleges, boasting success from physics to Frisbee and everything in between. Our academic programs span the disciplines, giving you a broad foundation of knowledge to take your interdisciplinary learning to the next level. With students hailing from across the country and around the world, our diverse community will challenge and support you. Located in the historic river city of Northfield, we're just 40 miles south of the Twin Cities; you'll find plenty to occupy your time outside of class. Carleton graduates go on to become physicians, teachers, civic leaders, artists, engineers, authors — and our strong opportunities in research and internships will help prepare you for whatever comes after Carleton.
Carleton College at a glance
- Undergraduate: 2,023
- Domestic students: 73% White, 10% Asian, 7% Hispanic, 5% multiracial, 4% Black, <1% American Indian/Alaska Native, <1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, excludes race/ethnicity unknown
- 9% international students
- Student/faculty ratio: 9:1
- Average class size: 17
- Number undergraduate majors: 33
First-year student profile
- Average ACT score: The middle 50% of enrolled students had ACT composite scores between 30 and 33; 55% of first-year students presented the ACT as part of their applications.
- Average SAT score: The middle 50% ranges were 670-770 for math, 660-750 for reading and 650-760 for writing; 63% of students submitted the SAT as part of their applications.
- Percentage from Minnesota: 13%
- Percentage who live on campus: 96%
- 2015-16 undergraduate tuition and fees: $49,263
- Room and board: $12,783
- Percentage first-time undergraduates receiving financial-aid: Around 66% of Carleton students qualify for some form of financial aid with 55% in the form of need-based grants and scholarships, which do not need to be repaid.
- Although founded by the Congregational Church, Carleton is now a non-denominational college with no formal religious affiliation. Our vibrant spiritual life on campus reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students, and you'll find services ranging from Catholic mass to Buddhist meditation.