Macalester has been preparing students for world citizenship and providing an integrated international education for over six decades. The college challenges students to consider ideas from multiple perspectives, to be responsible global citizens and to forge solutions to problems that the world faces today and will encounter tomorrow. Macalester students come from every state and over 90 countries for an academic program ranked among the top 20 in the nation. They also benefit from the opportunity to learn in an international community with faculty who love to teach, and a location that offers broad accessible research and internship opportunities, plus a friendly neighborhood. Most students study abroad for a semester, and graduates reap the benefits of a global education in the job market and at the nation's top graduate programs.
Macalester College at a Glance
- Undergraduate: 2,039
- Student/faculty ratio: 10:1
- Average class size: 17
- Number undergraduate majors: 38
- Domestic students: 76% White, 8% Asian, 7% Hispanic, 3% Black, <1% American Indian/Alaska Native, 6% Multiracial
- 19% international students
First-year student profile
- Average ACT score: The middle 50% of enrolled students had ACT composite scores between 28 and 32. 56% of students presented the ACT as part of their applications.
- Average SAT score: Middle 50% ranges for SAT Math: 630-740, SAT Reading: 640-730, SAT Writing: 640-720. 58% of students submitted the SAT as part of their applications.
- Percentage from Minnesota: 15%
- Percentage who live on campus: 100%
- 2014-15 undergraduate tuition and fees: $47,195
- Room and board: $10,496
- Percentage first-time undergraduates receiving financial-aid: 74%