One of the nation’s leading liberal arts colleges, St. Olaf offers a distinctive education grounded in academic rigor, residential learning, global engagement and a vibrant Lutheran faith tradition. Many excellent colleges provide one, two or even three elements of the St. Olaf experience. What makes St. Olaf unique is the combination of so many distinguishing features working together at the highest level: an intense academic program that sharpens minds and an emphasis on a global perspective that broadens them; the vitality of a residential community that engages thoughtful people across the full range of human experiences; and a faith tradition that encourages reflection and honors different perspectives. By cultivating the habits of mind and heart that enable graduates to lead lives of financial independence, professional accomplishment, personal fulfillment and community engagement, St. Olaf provides an uncommon educational experience that fully prepares students to make a meaningful difference in a changing world.
St. Olaf College at a glance
- Undergraduate: 3,046
- Domestic students: 81% White, 7% Asian, 6% Hispanic, 4% multiracial, 2% Black, <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native, <1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, excludes race/ethnicity unknown
- International students are 8% of total enrollment
- Student/faculty ratio: 12:1
- Average class size: 22
- Number undergraduate majors: 44
First-year student profile
- Average ACT score: The middle 50% of enrolled students had ACT composite scores between 26 and 32; 81% of students presented the ACT as part of their applications.
- Average SAT score: The middle 50% ranges were 570-690 for math and 560-700 for reading; 33% of students submitted the SAT as part of their applications.
- High school GPA: 3.62
- Percentage from Minnesota: 44%
- Percentage who live on campus: 100%
- 2015-16 undergraduate tuition and fees: $42,940
- Room and board: $9,790
- Percentage first-time undergraduates receiving financial aid: 89%
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Use LinkedIn’s alumni tool* to explore what St. Olaf graduates majored in and the types of careers they have and with which companies.
*based only on those who have accounts on LinkedIn