At Hamline University, we value the perspective and life experiences of transfer students, and we have the resources and dedication to help you reach your destination. Hamline is Minnesota’s first university (founded 1854), and is a selective, nationally recognized college of liberal arts and sciences. Just minutes from the downtowns of St. Paul and Minneapolis, Hamline offers easy access to a wide array of internship, educational, cultural, social and athletic opportunities.
Hamline offers transfer students a traditional undergraduate degree program and an online degree completion program. We offer competitive transfer scholarships, a generous transfer credit acceptance policy, transfer student orientation and mentoring, and a University Honors Program open to transfer students. We uphold a legacy of inclusiveness and our community is committed to making your transition to Hamline as smooth as possible. At Hamline, you will have countless opportunities to take the lead!
All students participate in an internship, collaborative research or service-learning project.
Undergraduate student profile
1,809 Total undergraduate students
40% Domestic students of color or Native American students
63% Students who are female
18% Students who are transfers
94% Students who are under 25
2% Enrolled students who are non-traditional
Since transferring to Hamline, I feel like I've finally found the place where I belong. HU challenges me academically, includes me culturally, and fulfills me both personally and professionally. Whether it's in classes, clubs, work, community involvement or new friendships, I feel I'm part of a larger community.
Hannah Brauer ’23
No minimum number of credits needed to transfer. A minimum of 56 residency credits at Hamline (or within the ACTC exchange) is required to graduate. Hamline offer a two-year assurance of graduation for students with Associate of Arts degrees from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Learn more about transferring credit to Hamline.
Maximum number of credits that can transfer
Number of credits required for degree
Minimum cumulative GPA required
2.0 (generally, 2.5 GPA required)
Minimum grade required for a course to transfer
View community or technical college transfer pathways for Hamline.
Block transfer acceptance for two-year college students
► Accepts Associate of Arts degree*
► Accepts Minnesota Transfer Curriculum*
* Hamline accepts the A.A. degree and the MnTC as long as the grade earned in those classes is a C- or higher. Your Hamline Plan requirements (general education curriculum) will be reduced by completing the MnTC or A.A. degree. Students will still need to fulfill the following Hamline Plan requirements: one Speaking Intensive course, Writing Intensive courses, a high-impact learning experience, and possibly an additional Fine Arts or Humanities course, Formal Reasoning requirement, and Collaboration requirement. Many of these remaining requirements can be fulfilled within a student's major/minor requirements.
Minimum required GPA for block transfer
Completed applications receive an admission decision within 1-2 weeks. Admitted students receive an official credit evaluation around two weeks after being accepted.
Fall term: Mar. 15 (registration benefits), Aug. 1
Spring term: Nov. 15 (registration benefits), Jan. 10
Other transfer admissions requirements
Official transcripts from each institution attended are required, as well as a Dean of Students form. Hamline is test-optional. Letters of recommendation and/or resumes are accepted but not required.
Where electronic transcripts must be sent
Financial aid & cost
- Phi Theta Kappa ($3,000)
- Hamline Firsts ($3,000 for first-generation college students)
- Transfer Achievement Awards (up to $23,000)
- Departmental scholarships (up to $3,000 in Art, Business, Science, Writing, Music, Theater)
- Legacy scholarships ($2,000 for students whose parents, grandparents or siblings graduated from Hamline, or for students whose siblings are currently attending)
Learn more about transfer scholarships.
Financial aid deadline
Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA is April 1
Learn more about financial aid at Hamline.
Office of Undergraduate Admission
1536 Hewitt Avenue, MS-C1930
St. Paul, MN55104