About our students
Get the facts
Nearly 60,000 students attend our 17 colleges and universities:
- 70% of them are undergraduates
- 30% are graduate students
- Three-quarters are Minnesota residents
- 23% of new entering students are students of color
- 59% are female
- 41% are male
- Last year our students accounted for 30% of the bachelor’s degrees awarded in the state and 44% of master's degrees.
Meaningful contact with professors
Sixty-one percent of classes have 20 students or less, with one professor for every 12 students.
Students receive a multi-disciplinary education, regardless of their major. They are equipped with critical-thinking skills applicable to all career paths.
Life experiences and workforce preparation
Students participate in off-campus study (53%), faculty-directed research (52%) and internships or other applied learning (51%).
Students and faculty come from a wide range of backgrounds; all campuses are actively engaged in community-based learning and international education.
A broad array of majors
Our institutions award the following share of degrees in Minnesota:
- 49% of physical science degrees
- 44% of history degrees
- 38% of foreign language degrees
- 37% of health profession degrees
- 33% of biological science degrees
- 33% of all business degrees
- 32% of math and statistics degrees
- 57% of education degrees
- 54% of public administration degrees
- 48% of theology degrees
- 45% of business and management degrees
- 42% of health profession degrees