Contributors and sources
Outside funding has helped make this project possible. Grants were provided by:
- Travelers Foundation,
- The Saint Paul Foundation, an affiliate of Minnesota Philanthropy Partners, and
- The Council of Independent Colleges, through its Foundation for Independent Higher Education.
TPT also contributed to this project through in-kind contributions for the broadcast time, marketing support and coordination. Graphics by local cartoonist David Gillette enliven it all.
This project would not have been possible without the experts in financial aid, student counseling, personal finance and higher education — along with some students, parents and community leaders — who were interviewed and others who contributed ideas behind the scenes.
In addition, thanks to the students from the High School for Recording Arts who contributed their time and energy to this project.
Who we interviewed
The following individuals appear in one or more of the Paying for College resources.
- Abdisalam Adam, Somali Community Specialist, Saint Paul Public Schools
- Awo Ahmed, Literacy Coordinator, Metropolitan State University
- Cheryl Chatman, Executive Vice President & Dean of Diversity, Concordia University, St. Paul
- Clark family — Donald, Carol, Madeline and Abigail
- Ginny Dodds, Minnesota Office of Higher Education, Manager State Financial Aid
- Mustafa Dualeh, Upward Bound, Normandale Community College
- Nathan Dungan, Personal Finance Expert
- Isabel Duran, College Connector, NAVIGATE
- Angelica Easterling, Metropolitan State University Student
- Chris Franken, College Planning & Assessment, Eastview High School; President, MN Association for College Admission Counseling
Dr. Darlene Fry, Director of the Office of College and Career Readiness, St. Paul School District
Donnay Green, Financial Counselor, Concordia University, St. Paul
- James Hammar, Assistant Director of Financial Aid, University of St. Thomas
- Kao Ly Ilean Her, Executive Director, Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans
- Jesùs Hernàndez Mejiia, Assistant Dean of Financial Aid, Gustavus Adolphus College
Tami Johnson, Counselor, Minneapolis School District, White Earth Anishinaabe
- Lois Larson, Director of Financial Aid, Metropolitan State University
- Rodney Oto, Associate Dean of Admissions & Director of Student Financial Services, Carleton College
- Libby Otto, Student, Hamline University
- Carol Stack, co-author of The Financial Aid Handbook and principal at Hardwick-Day
- Elizabeth Stevens, Associate Dean of Enrollment and Director of Financial Aid, St. Catherine University
- Phil Trout, College Counselor, Minnetonka High School
- Chang Dao Vang, Educator Liaison Get Ready! Washington Technology Magnet
- Kris Wright, Director, Office of Student Finance, University of Minnesota
Jenny Yang, Assistant Director of Admission and Financial Aid, St. Catherine University
Yawakie family — Mel, Madonna and Ben