Our 18 colleges and universities are a vital component of Minnesota’s higher education sector. Consider this:
- 68 percent of our undergraduate students are from Minnesota.
- 34 percent of recent Minnesota high school graduates pursuing a bachelor’s degree attend our colleges.
- 33 percent of our new first-year students are students of color and Native American students. (This figure mirrors the demographics of Minnesota high school graduates and excludes international students.)
- 24 percent of our students receive the Pell Grant.
- 20 percent of our students are first-generation students.
The result: our 18 institutions awarded 31 percent of all baccalaureate degrees in Minnesota in 2020-21, with 68 percent of recent graduates staying in Minnesota.
When it comes to graduate education, our institutions also awarded 46 percent of all master’s degrees.