Among the 17 colleges in the Minnesota Private College Council, no two of them are just alike. On just about any factor you can think of, this group gives you a lot of options. For starters, consider size, student body make-up, location, academic opportunities, campus groups, service learning and sports. Our colleges vary a lot on just those factors alone. We also offer some educational experiences not available in the public sector such as church- and faith-related institutions and colleges for women or men. Find out for yourself just how distinct these institutions are by looking at their profiles.
These colleges offer more than 140 majors. So if you already know what you want to focus on in your undergraduate education, chances are that these colleges offer it. You can review where different majors are available — along with any arts and sports activities that are important to you — by using our College Finder.
There's no stereotypical private college student, either. With about a third of Minnesota's undergraduates earning their degrees at our colleges, our student bodies represent a cross section of the state. And then there are the quarter of our students who come from other states and countries. So students are coming with a wide-ranging life experiences.
We also have more diversity in terms of both ethnicity and income than some may assume.
- More than 12,000 students of color and Native American students, excluding international students, enroll at Minnesota Private Colleges.
- Enrollment of new first-year students of color and Native American students at Minnesota Private Colleges has more than doubled compared to 10 years ago.
- Our student of color and Native American student four-year graduation rate is the highest in the state, and is higher than the averages for both publics and nonprofits nationwide.
- 54% at Minnesota Private Colleges
- 47% at University of Minnesota
- 12% at Minnesota State universities
- 42% at private nonprofit colleges nationwide
- 28% at public institutions nationwide
- Our students come from all income levels — and family incomes for students at private nonprofit colleges are similar to those at public universities.
- More than 1,700 international students study at our colleges.
With students from all backgrounds, a wide array of majors and varied campus personalities, you're sure to find a private college in Minnesota that will feel right for you.