Questions to ask
Parents and students visit checklist
College and Campus
- Is the size and location of the campus appealing?
- Is the character of the campus appealing?
- Do the programs and majors offered fit potential career interests?
- What type of orientation introduces a newcomer to campus life?
- Are there stimulating social and intellectual opportunities — lectures, debates, concerts? Are they well attended by faculty and students?
- Where do students live — on or off campus?
- What percentage of students return the following year?
- What is the graduation rate after 4 years? 6 years?
Teaching and Advising
- What is the average class size?
- Who teaches classes — professors or teaching assistants?
- How much exposure to the most gifted faculty will students have in their first two years?
- How extensively does the college rely on part-time or adjunct faculty?
- Are faculty members available to talk to first-year students about their academic disciplines and provide career guidance?
- What kind of email availability and office hours and do professors offer?
- How many students are assigned to an academic advisor? Will the advisor be a professor?
- Is good teaching valued and used as a criterion for tenure and promotion? Does the college offer resources to improve teaching?
- Does teaching include more than lecturing? Are students encouraged to work together, to discuss topics in class, to do self-directed independent projects?
- Can students work with a faculty member doing academic or scientific research while they are undergraduates?
- Do students participate in a senior seminar or design a senior project to demonstrate mastery of their major field of study?
- How is technology used in teaching and learning?
- Does the college have a program to identify students having academic or personal issues, and programs to help them?
- Are tutors, skill centers, writing assistance, counselors provided?
- What kind of tools, resources and training does the library provide?
- What kind of technology (Wi-fi, laptops, computer labs etc.) is available or planned?
Beyond the Classroom
- What happens after class and on weekends?
- Do students take advantage of athletic, cultural, religious or other campus events?
- What kind of off-campus or study abroad programs does the college offer? What percentage of students participate?
- What internship or career exploration opportunities are available?
- What kinds of student organizations are on campus?
- How does the college demonstrate a commitment to diversity?
- What opportunities are there for community service and/or religious activities?
- How do students treat each other?
- What services does the career development office provide?
- What kind of careers do alumni have?
- Do alumni help identify opportunities for recent grads?
- What kinds of networking opportunities exist for alumni?